The Moving Museum is a nomadic incubator for artists, ideas and cities. It is a large-scale, immersive project that manifests in a new place every time. We:
- Operate an agile and progressive organizational model, designed to be independent, cross-regional and site aware
- Instigate the production of new work and ideas from urgent artistic voices
- Provide artists inspiring developmental opportunities in unexpected spaces
- Identify and inhabit cities at the epicenter of shifting contemporary culture
Our Story So Far:
In our first three years, we have mobilized large-scale exhibitions that have taken over a combined 150,000 square feet of space across 10 venues in three countries, curated intensive public programmes alongside each project, published in-depth publications, hosted dynamic residencies, commissioned over 50 new artworks across all media, and developed a digital programme alongside four of the worlds most important internet artists.
The Moving Museum is an independent, not-for-profit, and non-political organization founded by Aya Mousawi and Simon Sakhai; a registered Community Interest Company (CIC) in England and Wales and registered Charity 501(c)(3) in the United States.
“This non-profit venture promises something rather more radical. […] Mousawi and Sakhai set up the Moving Museum last year as a community interest company. Any profits generated by the young trailblazers must subsequently be “used for the public good”, according to government guidelines… The exhibitions benefit the diverse communities linked to each city stint, with education outreach programmes, workshops and performances forming part of the package.”
– Financial Times, Oct 2013